Saturday, March 30, 2013

The White Swan: Introducing Johnny Jordan by Paul Morrison, A Book Review


This is a story about a fraud psychic that solves a murder because his way of gathering information to carry out the scams, gives him the ability to discover the unanswered question of motive.

The story was interesting in some parts, but it couldn't hold my attention for very long.  Maybe it was due to the fact that it was a murder mystery again and I have read quite a few of them.  I thought that the fact that he was a fraud psychic would maybe introduce some psychic or paranormal into it, but no.  It was just a normal find the answers to who did the murder.

How he managed to do his psychic scam was not surprising, but at times a little interesting.  Unfortunately you knew early on that the very process he used was also going to be the way to his murder resolution.  What you didn't know was what clues would come to him.  That may be why I was not able to wonder and anticipate the outcome.  So you knew the suspects were very limited, you knew what the process would be, and then you also knew what the outcome would probably be.

Throughout the story, the characters were at times confusing and ran together.  I thought I had missed something, but really, it just jumped a little quicker than I had anticipated.  I mean if Paul had taken a little more time to be more descriptive and show more character emotions, then I could have understood them better, and maybe liked them.  Right now I don't know what to think about them.  When the storyline is running through your head, you want to get it out and written as fast as possible.  That's when you miss some of the most developmental information that really needs to be there.  And that's where an unbiased editor is paramount.

One other impact I felt from this book was the writing style.  Every writer writes differently, and everyone has styles they like.  This style was the short get to the point quick write that you can scan quickly.  I like the much more descriptive reads like you would see a movie as you're reading style that you can't scan quickly or you will miss some key points.  But that's just me.

This is Paul's first book.  I believe he too will grow in this style, we already know he can create and write a story.  I would like to see his second book.  I believe his characters will be more entertaining with more moving emotions.  Overall this was a fun read, and creative story.

No comments:

Post a Comment