Monday, November 26, 2012

The Avenged, by Charles Prandy -The Book That Could Be a Good Movie.

I am not joking about the title.  When I first started reading this book, I just thought this story was going to be another one of "those" stories, no big deal, no excitement, no glad I read it, no what else has the author written.  How wrong I was on all of them.

The lead character Jacob Hayden was a stand up guy that I think would have loved to be a hero, a superman, but didn't seek such a role.  He was happy and content with his life and his work just the way it was.  He thought he had the perfect life.  The author really didn't get you too into his mind, which by the way, was exactly how most men think.  They don't.  They don't over think details and events the way women do, and he was true to that character.  It showed he was human, just a regular guy like everyone else, doing his job, and became embroiled in an unbelievable situation because of it.

When a person is a really good person, they get a reputation for that.  People love them.  They are respected, revered.  This guy knew it, but didn't put himself up on a pedestal because of it.  Jacob just tried to do the right thing.  The author made you feel the same thing for this guy.  You loved him, respected him, and wanted to help him do the right thing.  So when others came out of their shells, their hiding, or their fears to help him, you cheered.  You wanted to shout "Yes, that's what I'm talking about".  I feel like I would be a very good friend to this guy, and love to hang out with him. 

Getting your audience to feel such connection to the characters is a conquest we all seek.  Accomplishing it is masterful.  This was a job very, very well done.

I said before that I thought this would be just another "one of those stories".  This is far from that.  In my mind I saw this as a movie, with Vin Diesel playing the lead.  Yes, I know in the book Jacob Hayden is black, but I don't see people that way.  I see what kind of person, or character they are, and I thought Vin would be perfect for the character.  Give him a spray tan, if his color bothers you.
 
Yet again, I contemplated the ending as being the good guy usually wins, and the story ends neatly and smoothly.  I wasn't expecting this set up in the ending. Wow, that was surprising.  I wondered what he thought about that.  I wanted more answers, at least to what Jacob the 'do the right thing' guy was thinking in the end.  I want to know what the other characters are doing too, but now I need to know what is going to happen next.
 
There better be a sequel to this.  Sometimes you just have to have answers.

Great work Charles Prandy, thanks for letting me read it.  Send me the sequel!!  Others will love this story, and if this is any indication, all his other works.

No comments:

Post a Comment