Wednesday, May 1, 2013

House of Shadows by Walter Spence, A Book Review


A creative, detailed, and surprising story.  I haven't read vampire stories since I read a few by Anne Rice, but this one was really very interesting, and I'm glad I took a chance.

Vampires are a bloody sort, literally.  I don't like to read about the blood, the killing for it or any of that vampire stuff, at all.  I always feel sorry for the one who is changed, or killed, and never understood why anyone would want to be a vampire.  Silly, I'm sure, but just one of my aversions.  So when a book comes along about vampires, it has to have a story line that is captivating enough for me to skirt over the blood issue.  This story was just that.  I remember one part was so surprising, I reacted out loud.  I love it when the author can create a web so unexpected you have absolutely no choice but to react.  That is a good book.  From a good author.

The ending leaves you wanting more.  Not more vampire blood stuff for me, but more information on the characters, the story line, what's going on and what will happen next.  Don't get me wrong, the story gave you answers for now, but you realize there is more to the big picture.  And even though you wonder about it, you just know that the author will surprise you again.  This is not a book that you feel you know what the outcome will be.  At least it wasn't for me, and that is a good thing.  There has been many a book where I knew very early on what was going to happen and how it was going to end.

There obviously will be one or more sequels to this book and fortunately there is no way you can imagine what will happen in book two before it gets here.  Interestingly, the details Walter weaves into the story made me wonder if it was all created, or researched somewhat on what was written about certain things or a mixture of both.  Wondering about things like that mean you are caught up in the story.  When that happens, you know the story was well done.

Walter Spence will not bore you, irritate you, or even placate you, but he will captivate you with a spin and tale you won't see coming, taking you down a path you can't wait to tread, with a book you're glad you picked up.  Here's an author that can grab your attention and keep it well past the end of the book as you wait for the next one to be released.  He says he has a thousand stories running through his head.  I'm glad to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment